Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fourth of July

Yesterday, we left work early, donned swimsuits ...


... and paid our first visit to our neighborhood pool.


The pool is huge, and Madeline loved it!  There's a section that's bigger than most whole pools and all 2 feet deep, meaning Madeline could walk around with her head above water.  She did this giddily.  She also enjoyed hitching a ride with her parents from time to time.


Swimming made Madeline so hungry that she devoured two whole nectarines afterward.


This morning, I read most of the Declaration of Independence aloud to Summer and Madeline (omitting the list of grievances).  Then we dressed in red, white, and blue and went to the Humboldt Avenue playground.  Madeline spent much of her time in this red car.


But we also played with other things.


Soon, Ilan and his parents joined us.  There was more playing, and then we all got lunch together.  After an adorable goodbye hug between the two kiddos, we hauled a very sleepy Madeline home for a late nap.

The Fourth of July wouldn't be complete without grilling.  Our earlier outing ran too late for me to smoke the country-style pork ribs, so I prepped some bacon-wrapped chicken tenders instead.  And as I manned my station, Madeline watered the vegetables ...


... and played with dinosaurs.


Our very American bacon-wrapped, barbecue-sauced chicken was delicious.

1 comment:

  1. What a busy and fun-filled day you had! I read the Declaration too, even the part you skipped (and I see why you did). I always spend the 4th remembering "when" and wishing I could spend a few minutes back in time. We ended the day with watching the fireworks across the road at the WCC and that was good. xo N

    ReplyDelete